Hosted by the National Oceanography Centre (NOC)
The British Oceanographic Data Centre is hosted by the National Oceanography Centre (Liverpool site), which is committed to ensuring that BODC operate as an independent autonomous entity serving the entire marine community. NOC’s responsibilities are outlined in the following Memorandum of Agreement.
Memorandum of Agreement
Memorandum of Agreement outlining the National Oceanography Centre's responsibilities in hosting the British Oceanographic Data Centre (BODC) for the entire marine community.
- NOC will ensure that BODC continues to operate as an independent autonomous entity (within NERC) serving the entire marine community.
- As host, NOC will provide infrastructure support, promote staff development and furnish a lively scientific environment to ensure data managers do not become detached from practicing researchers.
- NOC’s computer support group will provide full IT infrastructure and hardware support for BODC.
- In providing all infrastructure and support for BODC, the associated NERC Category 7 infrastructure funds and overheads will be distributed appropriately.
- NOC’s relationship with BODC in terms of the supply and retrieval of basic data (calibrated with relevant metadata) is and will remain identical to that for all other NERC data providers to BODC.
- In general, BODC is concerned with basic data and does not create value-added products. Exploitation of data held by BODC will be under licence and the charging regime will be compatible with HM Treasury Guidelines. Value-added products resulting from NOC science will be exploited by NOC’s Applications Group. In this respect, NOC’s rights to exploitation of data held by BODC are and will be the same as those of the NERC community as a whole.
- The BODC Director will be a full member of the NOC Senior Management Team.
Related BODC pages
|Our national role||Our history|
|Our international role|
Related external links
|National Oceanography Centre (NOC)||Natural Environment Research Council (NERC)|
|NOC's Applications Group||NERC funding|