Using this web site
Data and file downloads
- Many of the rich text documents on this site are made available as Adobe Acrobat PDF documents.
- Acrobat™ is a format for portable electronic documents (PDF) developed by Adobe Systems. It is based on the PostScript page description language (PDL) developed by Adobe in the 1980's. PDF viewers are available free from Adobe for all major platforms.
- You are advised to download the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Viewer to be able to read these documents.
- Many downloadable files on this web site are made available as Microsoft Word documents as an alternative to PDF files.
- The documents have been created using Microsoft Word 2002. It is therefore advisable that you ensure you have this version or later installed before downloading.
- Microsoft Excel files have been used to display the current version of the BODC Parameter Dictionary.
- The Microsoft Excel documents have been created using Microsoft Excel 2002. It is therefore advisable that you ensure you have this version or later installed before downloading.
- Many downloadable files on this site are made available as netCDF files.
- NetCDF interface software is freely available from and supported by the Unidata Program Center. This is managed by the University Corporation of Atmospheric Research (UCAR) on behalf of the US National Science Foundation. A toolbox allowing netCDF files to be read into MATLAB may be obtained from the United States Geological Survey.
- All images are presented or delivered as either GIF or JPEG files.
- Both formats are platform independant and can be displayed by all web browsers that support graphics.
- Zip compressed files are used in various places around the site and expand into various forms, for example Microsoft Access 2002 and Excel comma separated value files.
Related BODC pages
|Using this web site||Search engine feeds — What is ROR?|
|Site navigation||Popups and downloads with SP2|
|Automatic news feeds — What is RSS?|