Network issues intermittently disrupting access to our web sites and services [more]
British Antarctic Survey (BAS)
As part of a coordinated approach to marine data management, BODC and BAS have entered into a laboratory liaison programme. To find out more about this programme, follow these links
- BODC's role — The liaison role undertaken by BODC
- Data submission — Guidelines on how to submit BAS data to BODC
- Data inventories — Access to inventories of BAS data held by BODC
- Data delivery — How to access BAS data held by BODC
- Other links — Links to BAS and other relevant web pages
More about BAS
The British Antarctic Survey has a long and distinguished history of carrying out research and surveys in the Antarctic and surrounding regions. BAS science programmes are closely linked with essential logistics support, making it very effective in carrying out the complicated and sophisticated scientific polar field programmes that are often a requirement today.
As a major research centre of the Natural Environment Research Council, BAS
- Provides a national capability for Antarctic science and logistics
- Carries out scientific research, long-term observations and surveys
- Provides a focus for international cooperation and programme coordination
- Concentrates on issues fundamental to NERC’s science strategy and the conservation of the Antarctic environment
The British Antarctic Survey has over 400 staff at Cambridge, in Antarctica and on two Royal Research Ships. There are six Science Themes (Climate, Chemistry & Past Climate, Ecosystems, Environmental Change & Evolution, Ice Sheets and Oceans) and two Support Divisions (Administration & Logistics and Environment & Information).
The Environment & Information division provides the home for the Polar Data Centre (PDC), NERC’s designated data centre for polar science. The PDC is responsible for the short-term stewardship and dissemination of data collected by BAS scientists. The PDC is also the UK’s designated National Antarctic Data Centre on the Standing Committee on Antarctic Data Management.
Related external links
|British Antarctic Survey (BAS)||Polar Data Centre (PDC)|
|BAS divisions||Standing Committee on Antarctic Data Management (SC-ADM)|