PROcesses of Vertical Exchange in Shelf Seas (PROVESS)
The CDROM is available free of charge.To request a copy please use our online order form.
Find out more
- Access the PROVESS CDROM brochure (2.3 MB)
- Find out about product Errata
- Learn more about the PROVESS project
PROVESS was a joint European project funded within the European Union’s Marine Science and Technology (MAST III) programme.
The project's objectives were
- to improve our understanding and quantification of the vertical exchange
processes in the water column. In particular, the surface and benthic
boundary (sea floor) layers and across the pycnocline (a layer separating
water of different densities)
- to explore the mechanisms of physical-biological coupling in regions of turbulence and vertical exchange
Fieldwork consisted of two interdisciplinary experiments at two sites in the North Sea
- the northern North Sea experiment (NNS) between September and December 1998
- the southern North Sea experiment (SNS) between March and May 1999
At both sites, time-series measurements were obtained from moored instruments deployed for the duration of the experiment including
- current meters
- thermistor and conductivity chains
- temperature probes
- bottom pressure recorders
- benthic landers
- nutrient analysers
- meteorological sensors
Intensive measurement series were also collected during seven oceanographic cruises using CTDs, SeaSoars, turbulence profilers, particle sizers, settling velocity tubes, optical profilers, benthic sampling, water bottle sampling, and zooplankton net and pump sampling.
A wide range of oceanographic parameters was measured, such as physical, chemical, biological, geological and meteorological data types.
The PROVESS data set CDROM contains over 94% of the data collected during the field programme.
Data from vertical profiling instruments and discrete sampling have been integrated into a relational database interfaced with BODC Database Explorer software. Time-series data are available in ASCII or binary files interfaced with BODC’s Mooring Explorer and Underway Explorer software.
The CDROM also includes the full FORTRAN 77 source code for PROvess Water Quality Model (PROWQM). The data are accompanied by a comprehensive Users’ Guide.
Related BODC pages
|PROVESS project data management at BODC||Interface software|
|BODC data products|