Climate Information Platform for Copernicus (CLIPC)
Copernicus is the European Earth Observation Programme. It is divided into six themes: Land, Marine, Atmosphere, Emergency Management, Security and Climate.
Climate Information Platform for Copernicus (CLIPC) is one of five projects within the Copernicus climate theme. The aims of CLIPC are to
- develop a data service infrastructure to provide harmonised access to climate information from in-situ and satellite observations and also from climate models (simulations) and re-analyses.
- provide a toolkit to generate, compare, aggregate and rank indicators of climate change and climate change impacts.
Climate change indicators exist at three levels with increasing relevance for policy and decision making, and include such things as
- Level 1: Sea level rise; length of growing season
- Level 2: Flood risk; crop yield losses
- Level 3: Flood damage cost estimates; food trade losses
To make best use of the ever-growing volumes of data available to be processed into climate indicators, CLIPC will be built as a distributed, scalable system based on international standards. The standards used will cover the technical aspects of the infrastruture, scientific quality of the data available and the provenance of both the raw data and the derived information products.
Our involvement in the project includes providing technical expertise to the CLIPC architecture team for the use of controlled vocabularies — lists of approved terms to exactly describe items, i.e. measurements sampled or simulated — and to provide the mappings between such vocabularies in the NERC Vocabulary Server. This will ensure that all data tagged with a standardised term from one list can be directly compared and aggregated with data tagged with equivalent terms from other lists. BODC are also providing quality assured observational data to CLIPC through our involvement in the SeaDataNet system.
Related BODC pages
|NERC Vocabulary Server||SeaDataNet-2|
Related external links
|Climate Information Platform for Copernicus (CLIPC)||Copernicus|
|Copernicus climate change projects|