Argo UK floats
An interactive map created using ESRI software products displays all UK Argo floats. You can opt to display various layers such as, active, overdue or failed floats; their deployment location and their trajectories. There is also the option of superimposing a 2000m bathymetric contour, sub-sampled from the General Bathymetric Chart of the Oceans (GEBCO) data set.
Tools allow you to zoom, pan, query and select floats of interest. Float identification, last profile date and position and links to the temperature and salinity profile plots are displayed below the map area.
Data (netCDF format) may be selected by ticking a box, for individual floats, or selected on the basis of time. Having submitted your selection the information will be transferred to the UK float data summary form, which allows you to further modify your request prior to submission.
On submission, your request will be handled automatically. You will be notified via email and asked to collect your data from our ftp site. Clear instructions will be provided.
Connect to the interactive map
Access the interactive map help
- Active Apex — Webb Apex floats that last transmitted less than 10 days ago.
- Active Provor — Martec Provor floats that last transmitted less than 10 days ago.
- Overdue Apex — Webb Apex floats that last transmitted over 10 days ago but less than 90 days ago.
- Overdue Provor — Martec Provor floats that last transmitted over 10 days ago but less than 90 days ago.
- Failed Apex — Webb Apex floats that last transmitted over 90 days ago.
- Failed Provor — Martec Provor floats that last transmitted over 90 days ago.
- Deployment (Apex) — Webb Apex float deployments (regardless of status).
- Deployment (Provor) — Martec Provor float deployments (regardless of status).
- Surface Trajectories (Apex) — Webb Apex surface trajectories (last known 90 days).
- Surface Trajectories (Provor) — Martec Provor surface trajectories (last known 90 days).
- 2000 m Bathymetry — 2000 m bathymetric contour line (Sub-sampled from GEBCO).
- 10 x 10 grid — Grid with 10° increments.
- 5 x 5 grid — Grid with 5° increments.
- 3 x 3 grid — Grid with 3° increments.
Plots of the last transmitted temperature and salinity profiles are available for each deployed float. In addition, a temperature against salinity plot for that profile and a time series of battery voltage (where available) over the whole lifetime of the float are shown.
To view the profile plots first select the floats that you are interested in from the currently active layer using the query or selection tools from the toolbar.
Information about the selected floats is displayed in the table below the map frame. There is a link from the plot field to the profile plot for the selected float. The link opens up the plot in a new browser window.
How to access and request temperature and salinity data
Temperature and salinity profile data, metadata and trajectory data for the Argo floats deployed by the UK can be obtained using the interactive map.
Making your selection
Firstly, select the float layer and then select the floats that you want to get data from.
- To display the floats in the map frame, toggle on the visible button next to the layer's name in the layers list. Next, select one layer to be the active layer by toggling on the active button next to the layer's name in the list. You can only make one layer active at any one time. You will need to refresh the display to view these changes. Click the refresh map button at the end of the layers list.
- Select the individual floats from the active layer using either the query or selection tools from the toolbar. Use the zoom and pan tools to navigate around the map frame.
Once a selection has been made, the information about the floats is displayed in the information table below the map frame. This table includes a 'Request data'column. Processed netCDF data may be requested by ticking the box in the 'Request data' column. This is further explained below.
Requesting processed data in netCDF
In the table of information for the selected floats there is a column labelled 'Request data'. You can choose to request data from all selected floats by checking the all button or choose floats individually by ticking the box. To cancel your selection click the none button.
Having made your selection, go to the Request form (below the layers list).
Use the Request form to select the start date and end date you are interested in and choose metadata, profile and/or trajectory data. Once you have made your selection click on submit. To cancel the selection and start again, select reset.
Having submitted your request you will be sent to the summary report to verify your request.
Once you are happy with your selection, enter your email address in the box provided.
If you have already registered as a BODC web user you will be provided with information about the status of your request. If not, we will redirect you to an electronic registration form as you need to be registered to request these data via our web site. Simply provide a few details and you will be able to proceed with your request.
Your request will be handled automatically. You will be notified via email and asked to collect your data from our ftp site. Clear instructions will be provided.
Related Argo pages at BODC
|Project overview||UK floats current status|
|BODC's role||UK floats realtime QC|
|UK floats||UK floats data delivery|
|Southern Ocean Argo Regional Centre|
Related external links
|ESRI||International Argo portal|