Rapid Climate Change (RAPID and RAPID-WATCH)
The following gives information about submitting RAPID and RAPID-WATCH data to the RAPID Data Centre (RDC).
Data from models
Data from measurements
All data resulting from sampling (including palaeo, oceanographic, geophysical, terrestrial and freshwater) should be submitted to BODC. Follow the links below for more information.
In general BODC rely on the expertise of the data originators to supply fully processed, quality controlled data sets with supporting comprehensive metadata.
When data analysis has been completed, please send a copy of each data set to BODC. The following is a summary of the submission process. More detailed guidance on how to prepare a submission is provided here.
You can submit RAPID and RAPID-WATCH data in the following ways
- Email attached files to Robin McCandliss. Please note — BODC has the capacity to safely receive email attachments up to 5 Mb in size. Check the allowable file size transfer by this method with your IT service managers.
- Place your data on an FTP server and send retrieval instructions to Robin McCandliss.
- Copy your data onto floppy disk, CDROM or Zip disk and send to Robin McCandliss, British Oceanographic Data Centre, Joseph Proudman Building, 6 Brownlow Street, Liverpool L3 5DA.
If none of the methods listed are suitable, please contact us to determine a method.
We can accept most file formats. Excel files or text files are the most commonly used. Please ask if you are unsure whether we can deal with your file format. For Sea-Bird CTD data please send raw versions of all Sea-Bird files, as well as the processed versions.
Please ensure that the following information is in or linked to the data files
- Sampling mechanism (e.g. CTD rosette, multicorer, zooplankton net, non-toxic sample)
- Cast and station reference if relevant
- Date and time of sample in GMT (or other specified time zone)
- Depth/height of sample
- Bottle/rosette reference for CTD rosette sampling
IMPORTANT — Please include in Word or text document
- The name and institution of the data originator and the principal investigator
- Specific details of sampling methods used
- Specific details of any instruments used
- Details of analytical procedures employed
- Details of any problems encountered along with comments on data quality
- A list of the associated data files
With prior arrangement BODC has the capacity to process some data types on behalf of the project. In this case raw data files can be submitted to BODC for processing. It must be stressed that BODC does not have the resource to process raw data without specific agreement. Unprocessed data cannot readily be incorporated into the relational database system and distribution is limited to copies of the original files via a data set inventory. In the case of NERC funded research the submission of unprocessed data to a national data centre does not meet the data management criteria of the grant.
Related RAPID and RAPID-WATCH pages at BODC
|Data policy||Data inventories|
|RAPID Data Centre's (RDC) role||Data delivery|
|Cruise programme||Other links|
Related external links
|RAPID models at BADC||British Atmospheric Data Centre (BADC)|
|Official RAPID web site||Official RAPID-WATCH web site|
|NERC data policy|