Planned maintenance — 9th-10th February 2016. [more]
UK Surface Ocean - Lower Atmosphere Study (UK SOLAS)
Impact of atmospheric dust derived material and nutrient inputs on near-surface plankton microbiota in the tropical North Atlantic
Principal Investigator — Eric Achterberg, School of Ocean and Earth Science, National Oceanography Centre, Southampton (NOCS).
- To study the effects of Saharan dust on marine biogeochemistry.
Fieldwork has included two research cruises in the tropical North Atlantic (PO332 and D326). Time series have been recorded at the SOLAS Cape Verde Observatory. Key measurements included
- Upper ocean nutrients and trace metals, including iron and aluminium, at nanomolar concentrations
- Phytoplankton pigments
- Particulate and dissolved organic carbon and nitrogen
- Photosynthesis and nitrogen fixation
- Atmospheric aerosol loading and composition
To find out more about Eric Achterberg follow the link below.
Back to list of funded projects
Related UK SOLAS pages at BODC
|Project overview||Cruise programme|
|Data centre's role||Data inventories|
|Data policy||Data delivery|
|Data submission||Other links|
|Data centre processing||Knowledge transfer|
Related external links
|International SOLAS||Quantifying and Understanding the Earth System (QUEST)|
|NERC SOLAS||Eric Achterberg, NOCS|