We value your feedback. Please help us help you [more]
UK Surface Ocean - Lower Atmosphere Study (UK SOLAS)
3D simulation of dimethyl sulphide (DMS) in the North East Atlantic
Principal Investigator — Icarus Allen
- To compare inputs of DMS to the marine boundary layer from the North West African upwelling system, and from aeolian deposition.
- To quantify the impact of the Mauretanian upwelling on DMS production and export to the atmosphere.
- To quantify the effects of radiative impacts, due to Saharan dust, on DMS production and export.
- To determine errors, and identify bias, in air-sea DMS exchange estimates.
- To establish an infrastructure for a 3D model of DMS in the North East Atlantic.
This project does not involve any independent fieldwork. It makes use of data arising from the UK SOLAS Deep Ocean Gas Exchange Experiment (DOGEE). Work focuses on the establishment of a 3D simulation of DMS in the marine boundary layer of the Cape Verde region.
Back to list of funded projects
Related UK SOLAS pages at BODC
|Project overview||Cruise programme|
|Data centre's role||Data inventories|
|Data policy||Data delivery|
|Data submission||Other links|
|Data centre processing||Knowledge transfer|
Related external links
|International SOLAS||Quantifying and Understanding the Earth System (QUEST)|
|NERC SOLAS||Icarus Allen , Plymouth Marine Laboratory|