European Directory of Marine Environmental Data (EDMED)
09 July 2010
On behalf of the SeaDataNet community BODC announce the release of the display interface for EDMED (version 1.0). EDMED is searchable via either SeaDataNet or BODC web sites.
What is EDMED?
EDMED is a comprehensive reference to the marine datasets and collections held within European research laboratories. It provides marine scientists, engineers and policy makers with a simple mechanism for data discovery.
Its origins date back to 1991 and it has undergone various revisions under the SEA-SEARCH and SeaDataNet initiatives. It has established itself as a European standard for indexing and searching datasets relating to the marine environment.
It covers a wide range of disciplines, for example
- marine meteorology and atmospheric chemistry
- physical, chemical and biological oceanography
- human impact on the environment
- fisheries and aquaculture
- coastal and estuarine studies
- marine geology and geophysics
EDMED catalogues datasets, irrespective of their format. Entries describe
- digital databases or files
- analogue records — paper charts, hard-copy tabulations
- photographs and videos
- geological samples
- biological specimens
Directory entries are prepared by institutes and collated nationally. These national directories are combined to provide a single centralised system managed by BODC.