GEBCO web site
03 June 2008
The General Bathymetric Chart of the Oceans (GEBCO) announces the launch of its new web site, designed and implemented by BODC. This provides access to information about GEBCO, including
- its organisational structure
- contact information
- links to data sets and products
- details about the Nippon Foundation/GEBCO training course
More about GEBCO
GEBCO consists of an international group of experts who develop and make available a range of bathymetric data sets and data products. Their aim is to provide the most authoritative publicly-available bathymetry of the world's oceans. GEBCO operates under the joint auspices of the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC) (of UNESCO) and the International Hydrographic Organization (IHO).
The GEBCO chart series has its origins at the turn of the 20th Century with its initiation by Prince Albert I of Monaco in 1903. Today, GEBCO produces a range of digital data sets and products. These include
- The GEBCO One Minute Grid
- The GEBCO Digital Atlas — maintained and updated at BODC
- The GEBCO Gazetteer of Undersea Feature Names
- The GEBCO world map
BODC are committed to providing services to the Marine Community.