07 April 2006
BODC is participating in the System of Industry Metocean data for the Offshore and Research Communities (SIMORC) project. More information is available from the BODC SIMORC project pages.
The EU-funded SIMORC project started on the 01 June 2005 and will have a lifetime of two years. It aims to
- Create a central index and database of metocean data sets, collected by the oil and gas industry. These include observed measurements of current, wave, sea level and meteorological data.
- Develop an operational SIMORC service that will continue beyond the completion of the project.
At present, six of the world's major oil companies (Shell, Total, BP, Statoil, Chevron and Hydro) have signed up to the project. As participants these companies will contribute their data sets to SIMORC.
The SIMORC partners include
- Mariene Informatie Service (MARIS)
- The International Association of Oil and Gas Producers (OGP)
- British Oceanographic Data Centre (BODC)
- Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission of UNESCO (IOC-IODE)
An advisory board has also been appointed.
Lesley Rickards is the BODC coordinator for this project. Polly Hadziabdic, Corallie Hunt and Mary Mowat are the data scientists responsible for the processing of the data sets.