RV Cefas Endeavour 05/11
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cefas Endeavour (74E9)|
|Cruise period||2011-03-06 — 2011-03-22|
|Port of departure||Portland Harbour, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
1. To carry out a beam trawl survey of the Western Channel for stock assessment purposes using standardized 4m beam trawls in order to obtain information on:
a. Distribution, size composition and abundance of all fish species caught.
b. Age - length distribution of selected species.
c. Distribution of fish in relation to their environment.
d. Distribution of macrobenthos and anthropogenic debris.
e. Surface and bottom temperature and salinity data using CTD.
f. Length weight & maturity information using individual fish measurements, in support of the EU Data Regulation.
2. To collect fisheries acoustic data at three operating frequencies (38, 120 & 200 kHz) and multibeam data continuously throughout the cruise. An attempt will be made to use this data to determine habitats and the scale at which these vary.
3. Collect micro plastic samples at each station using the manta-trawl towed for about an hour at 4-8 knots.
1. Collect length weight information for DCF work.
2. All dead shad (Allis and Twaite) and all dead lampreys are to be frozen and returned to the lab marking samples with the cruise, station and date.
3. Tag rays not needed for DCF maturity work (Joana undulate, cuckoo, common skate and blonde ray)
4. Collect radiology water samples for Trevor Bailey
5. Use and evaluate the litter evaluation protocol where time permits.
6. Collect 30 vertical lift net samples for mnemiopsis project.
|Chief scientist||Sven Richard Kupschus (Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Lowestoft Laboratory)|
|Cruise programme||(0.03 MB)|
|Cruise report||(1.51 MB)|
|Specific||Western English Channel (ICES area VIIE)|
|Track charts||(0.13 MB)|