RV Cirolana CIR9A/74
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1974-11-18 — 1974-11-26|
|Port of departure||Grimsby, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Barry, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||I. To re-examine the concentration contours of Caesium-137 and Caesium-134 in seawater of the Irish Sea following increased rates of discharge from B.N.F.L., Windscale, Cumberland.
2. To collect samples of seabed from selected stations in the Irish Sea for the examination of the distribution of radioactivity with depth from the surface layer in both the solid and liquid phases.
3. To record the total gamma count rate from seawater of the Irish Sea.
4. To collect seawater samples for the measurement of the weight of the
suspended load at selected stations in the Irish Sea.
5. To collect seawater samples in British Isles coastal waters for
radiocaesium and tritium analyses.
6. To collect fish samples in the western Irish Sea for radiocaesium
|Chief scientist||Douglas F Jefferies (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Project||Irish Sea Budget Study|
|Cruise report||(0.15 MB)|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Description: T only|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 95|
Description: S surface 54 S bottom
|Geochemical tracers (eg freons)||Quantity: track kilometres = 866.736|
Description: cont.gamma count rate for surface seawater
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of samples = 95|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Pelagic fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 1|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Quantity: number of samples = 4|
|Core - soft bottom||Quantity: number of cores = 13|