RV Cefas Endeavour 04/15
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cefas Endeavour (74E9)|
|Cruise period||2015-02-26 — 2015-03-23|
|Port of departure||Swansea, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Falmouth, United Kingdom|
1. Carry out a beam trawl survey of the Celtic Sea, South Western Approaches and Western Channel. Deploying standardised 4m beam trawls (x2), ring nets, and water column profiler. Station selection will be based on a fully random stratified approach with the gears deployed at each station where appropriate.
Catches from the trawls will be processed to obtain information on:
- Distribution, size composition and relative abundance of fish, cephalopods, and benthic invertebrates.
- Age-length distribution of selected fish species.
- Biological parameters of selected species.
The data obtained from processing the trawl catches is collected in support of the EU Data Collection Framework (DCF) and will be submitted to ICES working groups and other biological studies.
2. Collect fisheries acoustic data at three operating frequencies (38, 120 & 200 kHz) and multibeam data continuously throughout the cruise.
3. Collect information on;
a. Distribution of macrobenthos
b. Distribution and classification of anthropogenic debris.
C. Distribution of fish in relation to their environment.
4. Collect full depth conductivity, temperature and depth profiles at each trawl station alongside surface and near-bottom water samples using a Niskin with ESM2 logger.
5. Continuously log sub-surface (3m) salinity, temperature, fluorometry and other environmental data using the 'Ferrybox'.
6. Record details of surface sightings of any marine mammals, sea turtles and large pelagic fish, and record observations on jellyfish aggregations
7. Collect water samples for caesium and tritium analysis under SLA22.
|Chief scientist||Ian David Holmes (Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Lowestoft Laboratory), Sophy McCully Phillips (Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Lowestoft Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(1.30 MB)|
|Specific||Western Channel/Celtic Sea (ICES areas VIIe, VIIf, VIIg, VIIh, VIIj)|