RV Celtic Voyager CV15014
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Celtic Voyager (45CV)|
|Cruise period||2015-06-10 — 2015-06-19|
|Port of departure||Galway, Ireland|
|Port of return||Dingle, Ireland|
|Objectives||Since 2002 the Marine Institute have carried UWTV surveys of the Aran Grounds and this year the Porcupine Grounds will also be surveyed. In case of unfavourable weather patterns for this survey schedule we propose to survey the Celtic Sea. The results of the survey series will be used to describe the abundance, distribution and estimate the biomass of Nephrops in these areas.
1. To obtain 2015 quality assured estimates of Nephrops burrow densities from a randomised isometric grid of UWTV stations at 3.5 nautical mile spacing on the Aran and 6.0 nmi spacing on the Porcupine Nephrops grounds.
2. To obtain 2015 quality assured estimates of Nephrops burrow densities from other areas in the Celtic Sea if time allows.
3. To collect ancillary information from the UWTV footage collected at each station such as the occurrence of sea-pens, other macro-benthos and fish species and trawl marks on the sea bed on the Aran Ground.
4. To collect oceanographic data using a sledge mounted CTD.
5. To sample Nephrops and macro benthos using a 4 m beam trawl deployed at ~10 stations on the Smalls ground only if time allows.
6. To satisfy the requirements of the Irish National programme under the 'Data collection regulation' EC Regulation 1543/2000.
|Chief scientist||Colm Lordan (Marine Institute Galway)|
|Specific||Porcupine and Aran fishing gorunds|