FRV Alba Na Mara 0216A
|Ship name (ship code)||FRV Alba Na Mara (74NM)|
|Cruise period||2016-01-26 — 2016-02-08|
|Port of departure||Fraserburgh, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Fraserburgh, United Kingdom|
1. To carry out a survey of scallop stocks around Shetland.
2. To assess shell damage on all scallops caught.
3. To collect information on by-catch of other commercial fish and shellfish species.
4. To identify and quantify numbers of starfish species in all dredge tows.
5. To examine scallops for the presence of the Aplicomplexan parasite.
6. To collect scallop meat weight biological data.
7. To collect flesh samples for toxin analysis back at the laboratory.
Weather dependent, the vessel will depart Fraserburgh on the morning of 26 January bound for Shetland. Once at the sampling area, scallop dredge hauls will be made at sites used on previous surveys and other known commercial grounds as shown Figure 1. Hauls will be of 30 minutes duration. All of the scallops will be measured to the half centimeter below and aged from each haul. Numbers and size distribution of commercial fish and shellfish species will be recorded along with scallop shell damage and starfish abundance. From selected sites, scallop meat weight information will be collected and scallops will be examined for the presence of the Aplicomplexan parasite. In addition to this, tissue samples will be collected from selected sites and frozen for toxin analysis back at the laboratory. The vessel will return to Fraserburgh for unloading of all equipment and staff on 08 February 2016.
|Chief scientist||John Turriff (Marine Scotland Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)