RV Franklin FR09/97
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Franklin (09FA)|
|Cruise period||1997-10-10 — 1997-11-03|
|Port of departure||Brisbane, Australia|
|Port of return||Townsville, Australia|
|Objectives||Title: Seafloor Hydrothermal Activity in the Manus Basin, Papua New Guinea.
General Objective: Study seafloor hydrothermal ore-forming activity in order to develop improved methods of exploring for ancient mineral deposits on land that originally formed by similar processes.
1. Further survey and sample hydrothermal deposits at the SuSu site discovered during the PACMANUS-III Cruise (FR10/96) in the eastern Manus Basin.
2. Profile sampling of the hydrothermal plume at SuSu.
3. Collect diffuse vent fluids from the low-T Snowcap field at the PACMANUS site, eastern Manus Basin, and also from SuSu Knolls, using a simple vent fluid funnel (VUNL).
4. Conduct bottom photography and sampling to complete the survey of the PACMANUS site.
5. Test other volcanic edifices near SuSu Knolls (Nimab, Tumbo, Lunar Cone) fro hydrothermal activity.
6. Test the "Weitin Graben" near New Ireland for hydrothermal activity.
7. Conduct echosounding within St Georges Channel and the Planet Deep to clarify the geometry of major fault structures.
8. Characterise a seamount near the Planet Deep (crossed by FR01/93) and test it for hydrothermal activity.
9. During the return passage, characterise one seamount in a cluster of neovolcanic off-axis structures east of Misima Island.
|Chief scientist||Ray Binns (CSIRO Exploration and Mining, Sydney), Steve Scott (University of Toronto Department of Geology)|
|Cruise report||(1.27 MB)|
|Track charts||(00 MB)|
|Trace elements||Quantity: number of surveys = 1|
Description: On the crest of North Su a number of samples were collected.