RV Cirolana CIR5/72
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1972-05-19 — 1972-06-16|
|Port of departure||Grimsby, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Yarmouth, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To begin a study of the seasonal vertical distribution of gadoids
in the Barents Sea.
2. To investigate light levels and temperature conditions at the depth
of shoals found.
3. To collect ultra plankton for culturing.
4. To begin to monitor the distribution of ultra plankton species in
the Barents Sea.
5. To continue investigations on cod flesh parasites.
6. To release two buoyed parachute drogues on the shelf at 64 degrees and 66 degrees north at 1000 and 800 metres for tracking by satellite.
7. To work the Malangen Section.
8. To moor four current meter stations along the North Cape/Bear Island Section and recover them on the homeward passage.
9. To work the West Bear Island Section.
10. To service JONSIS stations in the North Sea on the passage to Grimsby.
|Chief scientist||G C Trout (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.32 MB)|
|Bathythermograph||Quantity: number of profiles = 26|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 34|
Description: 11 bottom
|Current meters||Quantity: number of deployments = 12|
Description: 4 moorings;each of 11 days
|Biology and fisheries|
|Primary productivity||Description: continuously|
|Exploratory fishing||Quantity: number of hauls = 28|
Description: midwater trawling
|Occasional standard measurements|
|Other meteorological measurements||Description: ice observations|
|Other meteorological measurements||Description: sea and swell|