FRV Scotia 0807S
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||FRV Scotia (748S)|
|Cruise period||2007-05-30 — 2007-06-02|
|Port of departure||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
1. To conduct an annual fish disease monitoring survey at Moray Firth, Fair Isle, Bell Rock, Marr Bank, Montrose Bank, Wee Bankie, St Abbs using standard ICES protocols for external fish diseases of haddock and dab (i.e. lymphocystis, ulcers, X cell, hyperpigmentation, fat cell necrosis and epidermal hyperplasia). To collect dab liver samples a fix for light microscopy (30 per station, 20-24cm group). A histological examination of the tissues will be carried out in the laboratory. To carry out an internal examination of >25cm dab for indication of liver neoplasia. Disease prevalence data will be prepared and a report submitted to ICES on return to FRS.
2. To collect tissues from common dab for mixed function oxidase activity and PAH bile metabolites in line with current monitoring programme. Additional hauls and grab samples are planned at the East Buzzard control site, subject to available time.
3. To sample tissue from dragonet, Callionymus lyra in connection with joint histopathology study with Cefas.
4. To conduct survey of external diseases of whiting (Merlangius merlangus) for potential monitoring including epidermal hyperplasia, Lernaeocera branchialis, Diclidophora merlangi and Clavella adunca.
5. To sample gills, liver and muscle from female control and hyperpigmented dab (stages 1-3; 20-24cm group) at all stations for laboratory analysis including virus culture, histopathology and bacteriology.
6. To sample approximately 30 herring per sampling point for VHSV surveillance programme under FC1196. Fish will be frozen and head kidney will be dissected from fish and total RNA use for VHSV screening employing the universal European VHSV qRT-PCR assay in the laboratory.
7. To sample single specimens of named species for PCR validation.
|Chief scientist||David W Bruno (Fisheries Research Services Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
|Cruise programme||(0.01 MB)|
|Cruise report||(0.02 MB)|
|Specific||Moray Firth, Fair Isle, Bell Rock, Marr Bank, Montrose Bank, Wee Bankie, St Abbs|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Pelagic fish||Description: herring collected and frozen for a VHSV surveillance programme|
|Pelagic fish||Quantity: number of specimens = 150|
Description: haddock examined for prevalence of parasitic copepod Clavella adunca
|Pelagic fish||Description: haddock examined for vertebral anomalies|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of specimens = 20|
Description: 20 common dab were sampled in each survey area
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Quantity: number of specimens = 20|
Description: 20 male common dab liver and flesh sampled in each survey area
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Description: tissue samples from female dab collected from all survey areas|
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Description: female haddock taken for histology at each trawl site and dissected|
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Description: gills taken from X-cell infected common dab|
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Quantity: number of samples = 30|
Description: dab liver tissue examined for neoplasia and lesions
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Description: common dab and whiting examined for external diseases|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Quantity: number of samples = 30|