BODC was one of 33 partners of SEA-SEARCH (2002 - 2005). SEA-SEARCH was an EU funded project involving a network of 33 national oceanographic data centres and marine information services from 30 coastal states. Each partner specialises in managing and distributing oceanographic and marine data.
BODC's SEA-SEARCH responsibilities included
- Contributing to the development of the Common Data Index (CDI). This was a pilot system providing users with a public internet tool to search for and obtain up-to-date information about marine data held in individual partners' databases.
- Development and maintenance of the parameter dictionaries to be used by SEA-SEARCH partners to populate the CDI and the hierarchical CDI parameter discovery interface. See our SEA-SEARCH data dictionaries page for more information.
- Maintenance and development of the European Directory of Marine Environmental Data (EDMED). See our SEA-SEARCH data inventories page for more information.
- Collating Cruise Summary Reports for UK research cruises.
- Contributing information for the European Directory of Marine Environmental Research Projects (EDMERP).
The work of SEA-SEARCH is now being developed futher by the EU SeaDataNet project.