BODC is the Designated Data Centre for digital information arising from the Liverpool - East Anglia Coastal Study 2 (LEACOAST2) thematic programme. In particular, it has responsibility for the quality control, integration and long-term stewardship of data sets obtained from the fieldwork undertaken during the programme.
The main aims of data management for projects such as LEACOAST2 are
- To facilitate the interchange of data within the project community
- To provide advice, and assistance when appropriate, to project scientists in the management, working up and quality assurance of their data
- To assemble the project data into a single high quality coherent data set, maintaining the spatial and temporal relationships between the data
- To ensure that the data are adequately documented and that reasonable steps are taken to assure their quality
- To ensure the final banking and publication by CD-ROM of the project data set