BODC is the NERC Designated Data Centre for digital information arising from the Marine Productivity thematic programme (MarProd). In particular, it has responsibility for the quality control, integration and long-term stewardship of data sets obtained from MarProd supported cruises under Phase 2 of the programme.
The main aims of data management for projects such as MarProd are
- To facilitate the interchange of data within the project community.
- To provide advice, and assistance when appropriate, to project scientists in the management, working up and quality assurance of their data.
- To assemble the project data into a single high quality coherent data set, maintaining the spatial and temporal relationships between the data.
- To ensure that the data are adequately documented and that reasonable steps are taken to assure their quality.
- To ensure the final banking and publication of the project data set.
The MarProd project data are assembled into a relational database which will be published on CDROM in September 2005.