BODC is the NERC designated data centre responsible for the management of data sets originating from the OSMOSIS consortium.
The role of BODC is
- To facilitate the interchange of quality–controlled and documented data sets within the OSMOSIS community.
- To assemble quality-controlled, standalone, documented data sets from OSMOSIS cruises into a relational database, so that spatial and temporal links between multiple parameters are maintained.
- To channel near real-time observations from the consortium to appropriate stakeholders.
- To provide advice and assistance (when appropriate) to scientists in the management, working up and quality assurance of their data.
- To assure the long-term stewardship of data sets arising from the OSMOSIS consortium for the future benefit of the wider scientific community.