BODC Cruise Metadata Report for RRS Challenger (74CH) cruise CH7/80
- Cruise Inventory Information
- A summary of BODC data holdings for the cruise from the
- References - including cruise tracks and cruise reports
|Long name||RRS Challenger (74CH) cruise CH7/80|
|Objectives and Narrative||
The objectives of this cruise were:
(1) To service current meter moorings at SMBA stations F, M (deep water) and R (shelf edge). Accomplished.
(2) To service IOS moorings at four stations in the northern Rockall Channel. Accomplished..
(3) To work the Rockall via Anton Dohrn Seamount (Ellett Line) CTD section plus additional CTD sections as possible within the time available. Anton Dohrn (Ellett Line) section was worked but no time was available for any others.
(4) Deploy an IOS experimental long duration (12-month) mooring. Accomplished.
(5) Deploy an IOS Bidston tide gauge on the Anton Dohrn section. Accomplished.
(6) Collect large volume surface water samples for radiocaesium analysis with CTD profiles on the sampling stations. Accomplished with CTD profiles on one of the ten stations.
(7) Search for current meter moorings lost during the previous winter. Moorings located, but could not be recovered.
(8) Deploy a current meter and corrosion monitoring experiment off the west coast of South Uist. Accomplished.
|Departure Port||Ardrossan, United Kingdom|
|Arrival Port||Ardrossan, United Kingdom|
|Principal Scientist(s)||David J Ellett (Scottish Marine Biological Association)|
|IHB Sea Areas Visited||Inner Seas off the West Coast of Scotland, North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)|
|Marsden Squares Visited||181;4/182;3/217;209|
|Work Area Description||N.E. Atlantic/ Rockall Channel/ Scottish Shelf|
|Work Area Bounding Polygon||55N,15W; 61N,15W; 61N,5W; 55N,5W; 55N,15W|
Cruise Inventory Datasets
number of stations =
Description: noisy salinity
number of deployments =
Description: 60 days;4x137 days;8x246 days
|Other physical oceanographic measurements||Description:|
|Sea level (inc. bot. press., inverted echosounder)||
number of deployments =
Description: IOS Bidston tide gauge
|Water bottle stations||
number of stations =
Description: T surface only
number of samples =
Description: water samples taken for radio-caesium determination.
Cruise Inventory Mooring/Buoy Operations
No information on datasets is currently available
Summary of BODC Data Holdings for the Cruise
|# Series||Instrument Description||Parameters|
Salinity of the water column
Temperature of the water column
Vertical spatial coordinates
Note: Parameter terms are taken from the BODC Parameter Discovery Vocabulary XML (SKOS)
|BODC Reference||Instrument Description||Date/Time||Location|
|188806||CTD/STD cast||1980-05-03 10:45Z||57° 33' N, 13° 36' W||Click for more|
|188818||CTD/STD cast||1980-05-03 12:08Z||57° 34' N, 13° 19' W||Click for more|
|188831||CTD/STD cast||1980-05-03 14:00Z||57° 33' N, 13° 0' W||Click for more|
|188843||CTD/STD cast||1980-05-03 14:52Z||57° 32' N, 12° 51' W||Click for more|
|188855||CTD/STD cast||1980-05-03 16:21Z||57° 31' N, 12° 37' W||Click for more|
|188867||CTD/STD cast||1980-05-03 19:47Z||57° 30' N, 12° 15' W||Click for more|
|188879||CTD/STD cast||1980-05-03 21:28Z||57° 29' N, 11° 51' W||Click for more|
|188880||CTD/STD cast||1980-05-04 09:33Z||57° 30' N, 11° 31' W||Click for more|
|188892||CTD/STD cast||1980-05-04 12:08Z||57° 28' N, 11° 19' W||Click for more|
|188911||CTD/STD cast||1980-05-04 13:48Z||57° 27' N, 11° 5' W||Click for more|
|188923||CTD/STD cast||1980-05-04 15:08Z||57° 24' N, 10° 52' W||Click for more|
|188935||CTD/STD cast||1980-05-04 17:00Z||57° 22' N, 10° 39' W||Click for more|
|188947||CTD/STD cast||1980-05-04 19:10Z||57° 18' N, 10° 22' W||Click for more|
|188959||CTD/STD cast||1980-05-04 21:52Z||57° 14' N, 10° 3' W||Click for more|
|188960||CTD/STD cast||1980-05-05 00:57Z||57° 9' N, 9° 42' W||Click for more|
|188972||CTD/STD cast||1980-05-05 02:30Z||57° 7' N, 9° 33' W||Click for more|
|188984||CTD/STD cast||1980-05-05 04:05Z||57° 6' N, 9° 34' W||Click for more|
|188996||CTD/STD cast||1980-05-05 05:10Z||57° 4' N, 9° 19' W||Click for more|
|189011||CTD/STD cast||1980-05-05 05:25Z||57° 4' N, 9° 19' W||Click for more|
|189023||CTD/STD cast||1980-05-05 06:33Z||57° 3' N, 9° 12' W||Click for more|
|189035||CTD/STD cast||1980-05-05 07:50Z||57° 0' N, 9° 0' W||Click for more|
No data currently held for this cruise in the BODC Project Database