- Submit data
- Submission guidelines
- Drifting buoy float data
Drifting buoy/float data submission
BODC aims to ensure that all data incorporated into our database are adequately documented to allow long term viability and future access. Therefore, key data set information (metadata) are important for each data set we receive.
Information specific to drifting buoy/float data are described below. Metadata should be supplied in our metadata submission template, however we are able to accept metadata in any format. Please do not be discouraged from sending us data even if some of the information is unavailable. We fully understand that there are many reasons why the standards specified may not be completely achieved.
Instructions for general data submissions and other data types are also available.
Ideally, all data from a buoy should be stored in a single file. A record should consist of date, time, position, position accuracy, observed parameters and any calculated values.
All relevant corrections and calibrations should be applied to the data. It should be checked for quality and pre-edited or flagged for erroneous values. Equations used to calculate values should also be provided.
Metadata specific to drifting buoy/float data
- Ship and cruise identifier.
- Project (if applicable).
- Country and organisation responsible for the station (i.e. buoy operator).
- Date/time of deployment.
- Position of deployment.
- Method of position fixing (i.e. DGPS or GPS).
- Buoy type and identifier(s).
- Drogue type.
- Date drogue was detached (if applicable).
- Instrument/sensor description. Include — reference number, manufacturer and model, resolution. Provide a literature reference, web site reference or briefly describe.
- Standard of calibration — method, quality, dates and calibration coefficients.
- Filtering, de-spiking or smoothing methods.
- Editing and quality control methods.
- Adjustments made due to variations in calibrations.
- Quality control report.