BODC Cruise Metadata Report for FRV Clupea (74CU) cruise 0498C
- Cruise Inventory Information
- A summary of BODC data holdings for the cruise from the
- References - including cruise tracks and cruise reports
|Long name||FRV Clupea (74CU) cruise 0498C|
|Objectives and Narrative||
1. To determine the abundance and distribution of piscivorous demersal fish species by bottom trawl survey.
2. To determine the age and length composition, and age-length and weight-length relationships, of piscivorous demersal fish species. Stomach samples will be collected to determine the diets of these fish predators.
3. To assess the abundance of sandeels in the sediment by grab sampling survey (approximately 300 grab stations). Sandeels caught will be measured and weighed and otoliths taken for age determination. Sediment samples will be taken to investigate the relationship between sandeel density and sediment particle size distribution, and to improve the ground-truthing of the RoxAnn data.
4. To compare the effectiveness of grab sampling (a further 200 grab stations approximately) and dredging (being done by RV Bernicia) as a means of estimating sandeel density in the sediments. Sandeels caught will be measured and weighed and otoliths taken for age determination.
5. To determine the abundance and distribution of clupeids and sandeels in the water column off the Firth of Forth by echo-integrator survey.
6. To determine sandeel and clupeid age and length composition by pelagic trawl sampling. Weight-length and age-length relationships will be determined. Otoliths will be collected for age determination.
7. To map seabed sediment type using ROXANN, backed up by grab sampling.
8. To determine spatial variation in the temperature and salinity profiles in the water column using a Seabird CTD sampler.
9. To determine the abundance and distribution of other top predators (seals, cetaceans, seabirds) in relation to pelagic fish distribution.
|Departure Port||Fraserburgh, United Kingdom|
|Arrival Port||Peterhead, United Kingdom|
|Principal Scientist(s)||Simon Greenstreet (Fisheries Research Services Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
|Responsible Organisation||Fisheries Research Services Aberdeen Marine Laboratory|
|IHB Sea Areas Visited||North Sea|
|Marsden Squares Visited||181;3|
|Work Area Description||Moray Firth, Firth of Forth, Wee Bankie and Marr Bank|
|Work Area Bounding Polygon||55N,5W; 60N,5W; 60N,0E; 55N,0E; 55N,5W|
Cruise Inventory Datasets
number of stations =
Description: SBE CTD stations
|Biology and fisheries|
|Birds||Description: Throughout Seabirds|
number of hauls =
Description: Trawl hauls
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Description: Throughout Seals and cetaceans|
number of hauls =
Description: Trawl hauls
|Geology and geophysics|
number of samples =
Description: Grab samples
|Multi-beam echosounding||Description: Throughout Echo integrator|
|Other geological/geophysical measurements||Description: Throughout RoxAnn|
Cruise Inventory Mooring/Buoy Operations
No information on datasets is currently available
Summary of BODC Data Holdings for the Cruise
|# Series||Instrument Description||Parameters|
Electrical conductivity of the water column
Salinity of the water column
Temperature of the water column
Vertical spatial coordinates
Note: Parameter terms are taken from the BODC Parameter Discovery Vocabulary XML (SKOS)
|BODC Reference||Instrument Description||Date/Time||Location|
|510534||CTD/STD cast||1998-03-04 09:30Z||56° 27' N, 2° 27' W||Click for more|
|510546||CTD/STD cast||1998-03-04 10:27Z||56° 27' N, 2° 11' W||Click for more|
|510558||CTD/STD cast||1998-03-04 13:45Z||56° 27' N, 1° 46' W||Click for more|
|510571||CTD/STD cast||1998-03-04 15:00Z||56° 22' N, 1° 57' W||Click for more|
|510583||CTD/STD cast||1998-03-04 18:52Z||56° 21' N, 2° 22' W||Click for more|
|510595||CTD/STD cast||1998-03-05 09:15Z||56° 18' N, 1° 51' W||Click for more|
|510602||CTD/STD cast||1998-03-05 12:25Z||56° 16' N, 1° 31' W||Click for more|
|510614||CTD/STD cast||1998-03-05 13:20Z||56° 13' N, 1° 38' W||Click for more|
|510626||CTD/STD cast||1998-03-06 08:25Z||56° 3' N, 1° 59' W||Click for more|
|510638||CTD/STD cast||1998-03-06 09:45Z||56° 2' N, 1° 43' W||Click for more|
|510651||CTD/STD cast||1998-03-06 12:55Z||56° 2' N, 1° 21' W||Click for more|
|510663||CTD/STD cast||1998-03-06 13:40Z||56° 7' N, 1° 28' W||Click for more|
|510675||CTD/STD cast||1998-03-06 17:04Z||56° 8' N, 1° 52' W||Click for more|
|510687||CTD/STD cast||1998-03-07 09:30Z||56° 7' N, 2° 29' W||Click for more|
|510699||CTD/STD cast||1998-03-07 10:20Z||56° 10' N, 2° 21' W||Click for more|
|510706||CTD/STD cast||1998-03-07 13:15Z||56° 17' N, 2° 8' W||Click for more|
|510718||CTD/STD cast||1998-03-07 14:15Z||56° 12' N, 1° 56' W||Click for more|
|510731||CTD/STD cast||1998-03-07 17:10Z||56° 6' N, 2° 10' W||Click for more|
|510743||CTD/STD cast||1998-03-08 12:48Z||56° 7' N, 2° 50' W||Click for more|
No data currently held for this cruise in the BODC Project Database