BODC Cruise Metadata Report for RRS James Clark Ross (74JC) cruise JR20030816 (JR99)
- Cruise Inventory Information
- A summary of BODC data holdings for the cruise from the
- References - including cruise tracks and cruise reports
|Long name||RRS James Clark Ross (74JC) cruise JR20030816 (JR99)|
|Short name||JR20030816 (JR99)|
|Objectives and Narrative||
JR99 was intended as a commissioning, calibration, trials and training cruise between the summer refit and the vessel sailing for the Antarctic. It was an opportunity for the new ITS, ETS and GSD staff to become familiar with the ship-fitted equipment; this necessarily involved carrying out a realistic survey in deep water. Specific objectives included the following:
1. Calibrate the EM120 multibeam echo sounder for pitch and roll.
2. Establish the operational limits of the EM120 and TOPAS sub-bottom profiler in rough water.
3. Check performance of the Simrad Synchronisation Unit (SSU).
4. Test towed magnetometer in stand-alone mode.
5. Review performance of on-board scientific systems and carry out general maintenance.
6. Install and test new version of Scientific Computer System (SCS) software.
|Ship||RRS James Clark Ross|
|Departure Port||Cork, Ireland|
|Arrival Port||Immingham, United Kingdom|
|Principal Scientist(s)||Carol J Pudsey (British Antarctic Survey)|
|Responsible Organisation||University of St. Andrews School of Biology|
|IHB Sea Areas Visited||North Sea, North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)|
|Marsden Squares Visited|
|Work Area Description||W. Ireland. Off Faroes Islands in area where the original commissioning trials for the multibneam were undertaken. Area to be within 65N, 6W and 64N, 8W.|
|Work Area Bounding Polygon|
Cruise Inventory Datasets
|Bathythermograph||Description: A number of XBTs were deployed at points throughout the cruise. No. of deployments not noted.|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Magnetic measurements||Description: A number of magnetometers were towed during the cruise. No. of tows not noted.|
number of surveys =
Description: A number of EM120 multibeam echo sounder profiles were made during the cruise.
|Multi-beam echosounding||Description: TOPAS profiles were made during the cruise. No. of profiles not noted.|
Cruise Inventory Mooring/Buoy Operations
No information on datasets is currently available
Summary of BODC Data Holdings for the Cruise
|# Series||Instrument Description||Parameters|
Bathymetry and Elevation
Horizontal spatial co-ordinates
Note: Parameter terms are taken from the BODC Parameter Discovery Vocabulary XML (SKOS)
|BODC Reference||Instrument Description||Date/Time||Location|
|1030275||Multi-beam echosounder||2003-08-21 12:00Z||Click for more|
No data currently held for this cruise in the BODC Project Database