RV Prince Madog PD20/09
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Prince Madog (74P2)|
|Cruise period||2009-05-18 — 2009-05-22|
|Port of departure||Menai Bridge, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Menai Bridge, United Kingdom|
1. Deployment of ADCP and thermistor moorings in the seasonally stratified part of the Western Irish Sea.
2. 50 hour time series of microstructure measurements next to the mooring using the VMP profiler.
3. CTD profiles and water samples for chemical analysis.
Sailing was delayed due to poor weather, however, as this delay did not exceed the planned the redundancy time built into the cruise plan, it did not impinge on the planned scientific programme.
All of the cruise objectives where met, as per timetable given below. Two problems were encountered:
1. Chain/ wire mixed used in mooring lines caused the winch to jam. This was rectified by removing most of the chain from the moorings.
2. Problems were encountered using the ships hydraulic system to power the VMP winch. This problem has since been rectified.
Neither problem impinged on the scientific programme significantly.
|Chief scientist||Tom Rippeth (Bangor University School of Ocean Sciences)|
|Project||Wind Driven Nutrient Pump|
|Cruise report||(0.02 MB)|
|General||Irish Sea and St. George's Channel|
|Specific||Western Irish Sea|