RV Cefas Endeavour 05/10
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cefas Endeavour (74E9)|
|Cruise period||2010-03-03 — 2010-03-14|
|Port of departure||Belfast, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Swansea, United Kingdom|
1. To conduct a plankton survey using a 76cm Gulf VII plankton sampler to determine the distribution and abundance of cod (Gadus morhua), haddock (Melanogrammus aeglifinus) and plaice (Pleuronectes platessa) eggs.
2. To remove fish eggs from fresh plankton samples at sea. To measure, stage and preserve these eggs individually, in ethanol prior to species identification using a DNA technique on return to the laboratory.
3. To sample adult plaice, cod and haddock for the estimation of fecundity and atresia using a semi-pelagic trawl.
4. To sample adult haddocks and carry out incubation experiments on board.
5. To collect surface nutrient and salinity samples at selected plankton stations (every two stations).
6. To collect surface chlorophyll samples at selected plankton stations (every two stations).
7. To collect supplementary sub-surface environmental data using an ESM-2 self-logging package mounted on the Gulf VII plankton samplers.
8. To collect fine mesh (80 micron) PUP net samples for subsequent zooplankton analysis on every Gulf VII deployment.
9. To continuously log sub-surface (3m) salinity, temperature, fluorometry and other environmental data using the 'Ferrybox'.
10. To use multi-beam acoustics to provide information on the distribution of pelagic fish and plankton patches
11. To attempt recovery of data-logger and valeport lost during previous cruise 02/10.
|Chief scientist||Sofia Pitois (Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Lowestoft Laboratory)|
|Cruise programme||(0.04 MB)|
|Cruise report||(0.19 MB)|
|General||Irish Sea and St. George's Channel|
|Track charts||(0.10 MB)|