RV Edward Forbes 8/75
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Edward Forbes (74EF)|
|Cruise period||1975-05-16 — 1975-06-02|
|Port of departure||Barry, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Barry, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To inject simulant sediment, labelled with approximately 20 curies of radioactive Scandium-46 on Kenfig Patches, Swansea Bay, and to follow the dispersal of this tracer.
2. To deploy two self-contained pressure wave recorders.
3. To deploy and recover two Plessey recording current meters.
4. To obtain additional sidescan and CSP records.
5. To undertake a limited grab sampling programme to calibrate existing sidescan records and the further CSP and sidescan obtained during the cruise.
6. To replace the mooring for the Waverider buoy situated near Scarweather Sands.
7. To obtain DCRM data, especially in relation to the periodic submersion of the Waverider buoy.
|Chief scientist||Anthony D Heathershaw (Institute of Oceanographic Sciences Taunton), Michael W L Blackley (Institute of Oceanographic Sciences Taunton)|
|Cruise report||(0.45 MB)|
|Track charts||(00 MB)|
|Current meters||Quantity: 2|
Description: 16 days
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Quantity: number of samples = 40|
Description: to confirm the interpretation of the earlier sidescan records.
|In-situ seafloor measurement/sampling||Quantity: track kilometres = 2507.608|
Description: measurements of introduced radioactivity tracer
|Single channel seismic reflection||Quantity: 75|