RV Clione CLI5/76
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Clione (74CN)|
|Cruise period||1976-03-26 — 1976-04-02|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To compare the performance of the acoustic current meter mounted on Data Buoy I (DBI) with an I0S electromagnetic (EM) current meter temporarily fixed on to DBI.
2. To compare current velocities recorded by the acoustic current meter, the EM current meter and rotor current meters laid in the region of DBI with the drift of acoustic transponding floats designed for the Mid-Ocean Dynamics Experiment (MODE).
3. To compare the heave, pitch and roll as measured by equipment on DBI with that measured by an IOS pitch-and-roll (PR) buoy
a. in the immediate vicinity of the data buoy; and
b. when the PR gyro sensor is temporarily clamped to the deck of DBI.
4. To compare the wave following performance of the Lowestoft Nimbus 6 spar buoy and the PR buoy.
5. To collect meteorological data to 'selected ship' standard for comparison with the data collected on DBI itself.
6. To measure tidal stream profiles in the vicinity of the Data Buoy by means of a direct-reading current meter. (DHCN).
|Chief scientist||John W Ramster (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.25 MB)|
|Current meters||Quantity: number of deployments = 1|
Description: 1 DRCM;4 days
|Other meteorological measurements||Description: air sea interface studies|