RV Corella 10/76
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Corella (74CX)|
|Cruise period||1976-07-06 — 1976-07-18|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. Investigate distribution and abundance of planktonic fish eggs and larvae, zooplankton predators and competitors and the phytoplankton using the Lowestoft multipurpose sampler. Including replicate hauls for variance estimates.
2. Monitor sub surface water continuously along the ship's track for
temperature, salinity, transparency and chlorophyll 'a'.
3. Collect water samples from the pump for salinity and nutrient analyses, calibrate the fluorometer with chlorophyll 'a' extracts, measure phaeophytin and identify the phytoplankton contributing to this fluorescence, including the preparation of slides for electron microscope analysis.
4. Carry out hauls with the 2 sq metre frame trawl for young fish over the same grid.
5. At selected stations sample the water very near the surface with a neuston net for lobster larvae.
6. Use the changing net sampler to investigate the vertical distribution of fish larvae and other zooplankton, alternating with water bottle casts for phytoplankton, chlorophyll and phaeophytin in relation to temperature and light penetration into the water column over a 26 hour period.
7. Collect samples of fish for stomach content analysis using the young gadoid trawl.
8. Collect samples of fish for heavy metal analysis.
9. Collect live plankton as required.
10. Service the 6 JONSIS current meter stations. At the Tyne station carry out a vertical series for temperature and salinity using standard water bottles and release 100 sea bed drifters.
11. Release 700 sea bed drifters at the 14 standard release points on the grid.
12. Collect a series of water samples off the Tees in the vicinity of the proposed I.C.I. dumping ground for M.E.P.2.
|Chief scientist||Derek Harding (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.33 MB)|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Quantity: track kilometres = 1852|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 2|
Description: 100 surface
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 100|
|Transparency (eg transmissometer)||Quantity: track kilometres = 1852|
|Optics (eg underwater light levels)||Quantity: number of profiles = 2|
|Surface drifters/drifting buoys||Quantity: number of deployments = 800|
|Other physical oceanographic measurements||Quantity: number of observations = 162|
Description: sea and swell
|Oxygen||Quantity: track kilometres = 1852|
|Phosphate||Quantity: number of samples = 100|
|Nitrate||Quantity: number of samples = 109|
|Nitrite||Quantity: number of samples = 109|
|Silicate||Quantity: number of samples = 100|
|pH||Quantity: track kilometres = 1852|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton pigs (eg chlorophyll, fluorescence)||Quantity: track kilometres = 1852|
|Phytoplankton||Quantity: number of samples = 100|
|Zooplankton||Quantity: number of samples = 100|
|Neuston||Quantity: number of hauls = 30|
|Nekton||Quantity: number of hauls = 20|
|Eggs and larvae||Quantity: number of samples = 100|
Description: survey:biomass determination,communities etc.
|Pelagic fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 3|
|Incident radiation||Quantity: activity duration in days = 13|