RV Corella 13/76
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Corella (74CX)|
|Cruise period||1976-09-28 — 1976-10-10|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry out a survey for herring larvae in the western half of the central North Sea, as part of an international surevy of the abundance and distribution of autumn-spawned herring larvae in the North Sea and adjacent waters, using the Lowestoft multi-purpose plankton sampler.
2. To investigate the abundance and distribution of planktonic fish eggs and larvae, zooplankton predators and competitors and the phytoplankton.
3. Monitor sub-surface water continuously along the ship's track for temperature, salinity, transparency and chlorophyll 'a'.
4. Collect water samples from the pump for salinity and nutrient analysis; calibrate the fluoromoeter with chlorophyll 'a' extracts; measure phaeophytin and identify the phytoplankton contribution to chlorophyll 'a' fluorescence, including the preparation of slides for electron microscope examination of the micro-flagellates.
5. Carry out hauls with the 2 sq m Lowestoft frame trawl to sample young fish.
6. Carry out hauls with the 2 m diameter ring net within 10 miles of the coast, to sample lobster larvae.
7. Use the changing net sampler to investigate the vertical distribution ofherring larvae and other zooplankton.
8. Continue estimating sampling variance by carrying out replicate hauls with the multi-pupose plankton sampler.
9. Collect live plankton as required.
10. To release 700 sea bed drifters at 14 standard stations on the plankton survey grid.
|Chief scientist||C Timothy Macer (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.21 MB)|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Quantity: track kilometres = 3657|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 130|
Description: surface only
|Transparency (eg transmissometer)||Quantity: track kilometres = 3657.7|
|Optics (eg underwater light levels)||Quantity: number of profiles = 1|
|Surface drifters/drifting buoys||Quantity: number of deployments = 700|
|Other physical oceanographic measurements||Quantity: number of observations = 165|
Description: sea and swell
|Oxygen||Quantity: track kilometres = 3657.7|
|Phosphate||Quantity: number of samples = 78|
|Nitrate||Quantity: number of samples = 78|
|Nitrite||Quantity: number of samples = 78|
|Silicate||Quantity: number of samples = 78|
|pH||Quantity: track kilometres = 3657.7|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton pigs (eg chlorophyll, fluorescence)||Quantity: track kilometres = 3657.7|
|Phytoplankton||Quantity: number of samples = 130|
|Zooplankton||Quantity: number of samples = 130|
|Eggs and larvae||Quantity: number of samples = 130|
Description: survey:taxonomy etc.
|Pelagic fish||Quantity: number of samples = 28|
|Incident radiation||Quantity: activity duration in days = 13|