Unplanned service interruption - 28 October 2016 15:00 BST - ongoing
Some online delivery is affected
RV Cefas Endeavour 20/16
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cefas Endeavour (74E9)|
|Cruise period||2016-09-10 — 2016-09-30|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Portland Harbour, United Kingdom|
1. To carry out a 4m beam-trawl survey of groundfish to i) obtain fisheries independent data on the distribution and abundance of commercial flatfish species, and ii) derive age compositions of sole, plaice, cod and whiting for use in stock assessments.
2. To collect biological data including maturity and weight at age of sole, plaice, lemon sole and other commercially important finfish species as part of CEFAS' requirements under the EU Data Collection Framework.
3. To determine the distribution and relative abundance of juvenile and adult sole and plaice.
4. To collect surface & bottom temperature/salinity data using CTD and Niskin Bottle.
5. To quantify epibenthos using 4m beam trawl by-catch.
6. Collect length/weight & maturity information using individual fish measurements, in support of the EU Data Collection Framework.
7. To collect surface sea-water samples for processing on return to Lowestoft for the analysis of tritium.
8. To collect fish samples in support of other Cefas and non-Cefas projects and training courses.
RV Cefas Endeavour will sail from Lowestoft on the 10th September and will head directly to the first priority sampling 'grid' in the inner Bristol Channel (BCI). Upon completion of the BCI survey grid, RV Cefas Endeavour will then head north fishing stations en-route to the other priority sampling grids in the Irish Sea south and north sectors (ISS/ISN). Once completed, the remaining survey grids of Irish Sea West (ISW), St. Georges Channel (SGC) and Bristol Channel outer (BCO) will be fished.
At the first and last fishing stations of each working day, a CTD profile and associated surface and bottom salinity samples will be collected.
It is anticipated that a mid-survey break will occur around day twelve of the survey (~21nd September with the location likely to be Douglas, IOM. This will allow for a changeover of scientific staff and vessel's officers and crew and for the vessel to take on fresh supplies and water. At the end of the survey, RV Cefas Endeavour will dock in Portland on the 30th September and unloading of equipment will be carried out the same day.
|Chief scientist||Stephen Shaw (Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Lowestoft Laboratory)|
|Cruise programme||(0.08 MB)|
|General||Irish Sea and St. George's Channel|