RV Clione CLI12/68
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Clione (74CN)|
|Cruise period||1968-11-03 — 1968-11-16|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To test the PRT 5 airborne radiation thermometer.
2. To measure currents at three depths at each of eight stations
in the western Irish Sea over a period of 15 days using moored
3. To test the Plessey current meter as a continuous temperature/
current recording instrument.
4. To release surface drifters of various types at 53°17'30"N,
04°55' W and to follow the patch of drifters while recording
the wind speed and direction, surface and subsurface currents
by means of further current meter stations and parachute
drogues, the initial stages of the dispersion to be recorded
by aerial photography.
5. To work temperature and salinity sections across the area of
the moored current meter array, recording the surface currents
across the sections by GEK.
6. To release surface and sea-bed drifters at the eight moored
current meter stations.
|Chief scientist||Harold W Hill (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.35 MB)|
|General||Irish Sea and St. George's Channel|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 10|
|GEK||Quantity: number of stations = 10|
|Surface drifters/drifting buoys||Quantity: number of deployments = 20|
Description: 10 bottom
|Other physical oceanographic measurements||Description: currents from a moored ocean. stat.|
|Routine standard measurements|