Unplanned service interruption - 28 October 2016 15:00 BST - ongoing
Some online delivery is affected
RRS Discovery D89
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Discovery (74E3)|
|Cruise period||1977-11-23 — 1977-12-20|
|Port of departure||Barry, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||South Shields, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To recover and reset current meter moorings at nominal positions.
2. To set an additional current meter mooring at a site on the Azores-Biscay rise close to 41.5N 20W.
3. To test and incorporate in a current meter mooring a depth and tilt telemetering command pinger.
4. To carry out extensive wire tests of acoustic release and command equipment.
5. To deploy this acoustic equipment on a temporary mooring and to conduct acoustic ranging trials.
6. To test and use a free fall acoustic profiler in order to determine vertical profiles of current velocity.
7. To make tests of a sea surface, acoustically tracked float made from plastic components.
8. To deploy T-7 XBT probes at 40km intervals on all passage legs.
|Chief scientist||W John Gould (Institute of Oceanographic Sciences Wormley Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.63 MB)|
|General||North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Quantity: track kilometres = 3704|
Description: T only
|Bathythermograph||Quantity: number of profiles = 100|
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 3|
|Current meters||Quantity: number of deployments = 4|
Description: 270 days
|Current profiler (eg ADCP)||Quantity: number of deployments = 10|
|Currents measured from ship drift||Quantity: track kilometres = 3704|
|Routine standard measurements|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Multi-beam echosounding||Quantity: track kilometres = 3704|