RV Edward Forbes 11/77
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Edward Forbes (74EF)|
|Cruise period||1977-07-09 — 1977-07-24|
|Port of return||Harwich, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||To continue the multidisciplinary study which has the main aim of resolving the sediment transport system of the Sizewell-Dunwich Banks. In particular:
1. To lay five Plessey self-recording current meter rigs of standard configuration, plus one designed for shallow water, and also to change the long term current meter mooring. Recovery to be undertaken after two months, but with a locally chartered vessel. The rigs to be sited primarily so that data coverage can be obtained in areas where the previous year's data is non-existent or of a quality below the required standard. The meters all to be near midwater level in order to provide data suitable for input to the mathematical model.
2. To use a fixed array of flowmeters to measure points synchronously on the water velocity profile over two tidal cycles, at each of three selected stations. This further investigation of the water velocity profile to be part of the input to the mathematical model study, Project S33. Of the three stations selected, one to be on the Sizewell bank, one off the bank, and the third between the two and therefore in an area likely to be turbulent. The array also to include two direction reading meters, three siltmeters and a pressure sensor.
3. To deploy a Waverider buoy on the seaward side of the banks in 16m water.
4. To undertake the fluorescent tracer experiment postponed from August 1976. To carry out boxcore survey in the area where the fluorescent tracer would be expected to occur five days after injection.
5. To use any remaining time for a bathymetric survey of the banks.
|Chief scientist||Barbara J Lees (Institute of Oceanographic Sciences Taunton)|
|Cruise report||(0.35 MB)|
|Track charts||(00 MB)|
|Current meters||Quantity: 3|
|Current meters||Quantity: 10|
|Surface drifters/drifting buoys||Description: one waverider buoy station|
|Trace elements||Description: one short-term fluorescent tracer experiment|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Core - soft bottom||Quantity: number of cores = 32|
|Single-beam echosounding||Quantity: 125|