RRS Challenger CH15/79
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Challenger (74CH)|
|Cruise period||1979-10-09 — 1979-10-24|
|Port of departure||Ardrossan, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Ardrossan, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To obtain further fish samples from the SMBA permanent station in the Rockall Channel.
2. To continue a seasonal survey of the deep-sea demersal fish populations of the upper slope of the Porcupine Seabight using the large SMBA Granton trawl.
3. To continue the seasonal surveys of the deep-sea demersal fish populations of the Porcupine Seabight from 500m to 4800m using the IOS semi-balloon trawl.
4. To collect invertebrate samples from the trawls for IOS (Wormley).
5. To carry out comparative fishing trials between the SMBA Granton trawl and the IOS semi-balloon trawl.
6. To obtain core samples for meiofauna studies at the SMBA shelf, Rockall Trough and Porcupine Abyssal Plain routine stations, with associated bottom photography.
7. To obtain core samples for meiofauna distribution studies on the Goban Spur (southern boundary of the Porcupine Seabight).
|Chief scientist||Peter R Barnett (Scottish Marine Biological Association)|
|Cruise report||(0.56 MB)|
|General||North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 16|
Description: T bottom 9 S surface
|Biology and fisheries|
|Benthic bacteria/micro-organisms||Quantity: number of stations = 7|
|Zoobenthos||Quantity: number of hauls = 17|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 17|
Description: Granton Trawl used to survey taxonomy, energy transfers and biomass determination.