RV Clione CLI9/79
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Clione (74CN)|
|Cruise period||1979-09-03 — 1979-09-17|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
1. To service the JONSIS, Tees and South Falls current meter stations.
2. To collect 25 litre seawater samples at each JONSIS station.
3. To release 100 seabed drifters at the South Falls station.
1. To study bottom morphology in the vicinity of dumping grounds in Liverpool Bay, at the Falls, and at Roughs-Towers using sector scanner.
2. To assess water quality in the vicinity of the sewage sludge disposal ground in Liverpool Bay using embryo development of the oyster, Crassostrea gigas. Water samples to be taken at intervals while steaming over a grid.
3. To collect fish for chemical analysis from Liverpool Bay, Morecambe Bay and the Falls area.
4. To collect sediment samples for biological, physical and chemical analysis from the vicinity of the Falls and Roughs-Tower dumping grounds.
5. To collect water and sediment samples for hydrocarbon analysis from Celtic Sea, Liverpool Bay and the English Channel.
5. During aims 4 and 5 to collect sediment samples for Dr M Goodfellow of Newcastle University Medical School (for Actinomycetes studies).
|Chief scientist||Michael S Rolfe (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Burnham Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.34 MB)|
Irish Sea and St. George's Channel
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)|
|Transparency (eg transmissometer)|
|Current meters||Quantity: number of deployments = 4|
|Trace metals||Quantity: number of samples = 78|
|Petroleum residues||Quantity: number of samples = 23|
|Chlorinated hydrocarbons||Quantity: number of samples = 3|
|Other contaminant measurements||Quantity: number of samples = 74|
Description: waste water:other
|Biology and fisheries|
|Zoobenthos||Quantity: number of hauls = 78|
|Exploratory fishing||Quantity: number of hauls = 3|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Quantity: number of samples = 101|
Description: physical analysis of sediments
|Long/short range side scan sonar||Quantity: track kilometres = 343|