RRS Discovery D105
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Discovery (74E3)|
|Cruise period||1979-08-29 — 1979-10-23|
|Port of departure||Barry, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||South Shields, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. Continued benthic and midwater sampling in the Porcupine Sea Bight area for comparison with data gained on previous cruises.
2. A day and night vertical series of midwater hauls for S.M.B.A biologists at their routine benthic sampling station in the Rockall Trough.
3. A series of oblique midwater hauls along the 13W or 17W meridian to investigate the influence of the Mediterranean outflow and the delineation of zoogeographic boundaries.
4. A transect of benthic sledge tows out from the continental shelf of North West Africa to abyssal plain depths.
5. A survey of any fronts encountered in the Porcupine Sea Bight area.
6. Midwater hauls using the low level photometer to fish specific isolumes.
|Chief scientist||Peter J Herring (Institute of Oceanographic Sciences Wormley Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(1.15 MB)|
|General||North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)|
|Track charts||(0.01 MB)|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)|
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 15|
|Optics (eg underwater light levels)||Quantity: 28|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Birds||Description: identification,physiology,population structures|
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Description: bioluminescence|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Core - soft bottom||Quantity: number of cores = 2|
|Data held at BODC|
|2 CTD/STD cast|
Electrical conductivity of the water column
Vertical spatial coordinates
Salinity of the water column
Temperature of the water column