Unplanned service interruption - 28 October 2016 15:00 BST - ongoing
Some online delivery is affected
FRV Scotia 5/81
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||FRV Scotia (749S)|
|Cruise period||1981-05-20 — 1981-06-08|
|Port of departure||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To undertake monitoring surveys at Bell Rock and St Abbs Head sludge dumping grounds.
2. To carry out a neuston net survey of Bell Rock/St Andrews Bay area to observe the diurnal rhythm of lobster larvae.
3. To conduct a survey of the sea surface off the Tay and Forth estuaries to provide information for a European Space Agency experiment using airborne sensors.
4. To investigate the distribution of heavy metals and pesticides in the sediments of the sludge dumping grounds in the Firth of Forth and in the North Sea (between 56ºN - 59º 15'N).
5. To investigate the benthic communities in parts of the North Sea between latitudes 56N - 59 15'N.
6. To investigate the status of the benthic communities around the Beryl production platform.
|Chief scientist||Anastasios Eleftheriou (Department of Agriculture and Fisheries for Scotland Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.15 MB)|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||Northwestern and central North Sea; offshore from Firth of Tay and Firth of Forth; Beryl oil platform area.|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)|
|Water bottle stations||Description: Surface salinity only|
|Trace metals||Quantity: number of stations = 108|
|Petroleum residues||Quantity: number of stations = 4|
|Chlorinated hydrocarbons||Quantity: number of stations = 108|
|Bottom deposits||Quantity: number of stations = 108|
|Contaminants in organisms||Quantity: number of stations = 6|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton pigs (eg chlorophyll, fluorescence)|
|Particulate organic matter (inc POC, PON)||Quantity: number of stations = 108|
|Neuston||Quantity: number of samples = 2|
Description: Neuston net samples collected in the relevant area to be examined for presence of lobster larvae.
|Eggs and larvae||Quantity: number of samples = 2|
|Zoobenthos||Quantity: number of stations = 108|
Description: identification, distribution and biomass determination
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 3|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Bottom photography||Quantity: number of deployments = 21|
|Other geological/geophysical measurements||Quantity: number of stations = 108|
Description: physical analysis of sediments