RRS Challenger CH5/82
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Challenger (74CH)|
|Cruise period||1982-03-23 — 1982-04-05|
|Port of departure||Barry, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Barry, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To take a series of multi-net epibenthic sledge samples at the shallower transponder station (see Challenger 14/81 report) to investigate the replicability of hauls in terms of a number of organisms and biomass.
2. To obtain more otter trawl samples at depths of 300-4000m as part of the continuing sampling of fish populations in the Sea-Bight.
3. To obtain series of qualitative samples with the coarse mesh epibenthic sledge from 500-4000m to investigate the relationship between biomass and depth.
4. To make several short term and one longer term deployments of Bathysnap.
5. To obtain photographic evidence of megabenthic abundance and diversity, and of net function during epibenthic sledge hauls using the IOS and "Benthos" cameras.
6. To obtain soundings for eventual incorporation into an improved bathymetric chart of the Sea-Bight and to identify suitable areas for future biological sampling.
|Chief scientist||Michael H Thurston (Institute of Oceanographic Sciences Wormley Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.45 MB)|
|General||North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Zoobenthos||Quantity: number of hauls = 20|
Description: survey:taxonomy,biomass determination,distribution
|Exploratory fishing||Quantity: number of hauls = 8|