RRS Challenger CH12/83
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Challenger (74CH)|
|Cruise period||1983-08-27 — 1983-09-12|
|Port of departure||Dunstaffnage, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Dunstaffnage, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To deploy two test moorings off Tiree for IOS Bidston.
2. To deploy a pressure recorder in the Rockall Trough.
3. To attempt a recovery of moorings lost during the winter 1982/3 CONSLEX experiment.
4. To deploy a line of six subsurface current meter moorings in the Faroe-Shetland Channel.
5. To occupy CTD stations in the Faroe-Shetland Channel.
6. To obtain gravity cores in association with (4) and (5).
|Chief scientist||W John Gould (Institute of Oceanographic Sciences Wormley Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.28 MB)|
|General||North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)|
|Specific||West of Scotland/ Faroe-Shetland Chan.|
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 31|
Description: worked using the Bidston 9040 CTD sea unit, with data recorded at one second intervals.
|Current meters||Quantity: number of stations = 6|
Description: 21current meters deployed
|Routine standard measurements||Description: synoptic hours|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Core - soft bottom||Quantity: number of cores = 3|
|Multi-beam echosounding||Description: continuous|