RV Cirolana CIR7/83
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1983-06-29 — 1983-07-28|
|Port of departure||Grimsby, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Grimsby, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||The objectives of this cruise were:
(1) To recover the Rockall Bank array of five current meter moorings plus a mooring between the tail of Rockall bank and the mid-Atlantic Ridge. Accomplished.
(2) To re-lay the NEADS 6 mooring and an E-W line of 9 moorings along approximately 43-45N between the Iberia and Porcupine Basins. NEADS 6 plus 8 moorings deployed.
(3) To deploy a short-term thermistor chain mooring at the slope erosion zone on Porcupine Bank. Accomplished
(4) To work three full-depth 14C, 226/228Ra stations with nutrients and CTD on the meridional radiochemistry section, including one in the Discovery Gap. Five stations on transect worked, but Discovery gap not reached due to La Coruna port call for winch repairs.
(5) To work up to six coring stations. Three good gravity cores obtained plus two partial Kaston cores.
(6) To listen for COB and IOS SOFAR floats. Accomplished.
(7) To work XBT sections in regions of interest, including the proposed MAFF SOFAR float launch site in the Iberian Abyssal Plain. XBTs deployed along passage sections, but Iberia Abyssal Plain survey not possible.
(8) To recover and re-lay the colonisation experiment at the NEA dumpsite. Accomplished, but previous deployment compromised as drum failed to reach the bottom.
(9) To deploy and recover fish traps. Four deployments returning one Coryphanoides, abundant large amphipods, a few deep euphausids, a small unidentified abyssal fish and apparent postlarva.
(10) To test satellite-linked search and rescue buoys. Started but abandoned when the beacon sustained damage.
|Chief scientist||Robert R Dickson (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.28 MB)|
|General||North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)|
|Specific||N.E. Atlantic, mid Atlantic Ridge, tail of Rockall Bank|
|Bathythermograph||Quantity: number of profiles = 96|
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of profiles = 3|
Description: on two full-depth stations
|Current meters||Quantity: number of recoveries = 15|
Description: current meters recovered with 275 days of data recorded
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of samples = 9|
Description: Gerard barrel samples for 14C
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of samples = 7|
Description: Surface caesium 137 (Cs-137)
|Biology and fisheries|
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Quantity: number of deployments = 4|
Description: deep sea fish traps
|Geology and geophysics|
|Core - soft bottom||Quantity: number of cores = 5|
Description: 3 good gravity cores plus 2 partial Kaston cores
|Data held at BODC|
|3 CTD/STD cast|
Vertical spatial coordinates
Salinity of the water column
Temperature of the water column