RV Cirolana CIR5/84
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1984-05-22 — 1984-06-17|
|Port of departure||Grimsby, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Grimsby, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. Acoustic range trials.
2. To repeat standard trawl hauls on the Smalls Ground.
3. To carry out a series of transects across the NW Irish Sea front with a High Speed Tow Net and echo integrator.
4. To fish for potential predators on fish and Nephrops larvae, using a midwater trawl and high headline bottom trawl.
5. To fish for cod over a 24h period in order to investigate whether diel variations in feeding on adult Nephrops can be used to estimate consumption rates.
6. To carry out detailed sampling of Nephrops larvae distributions using HSTN and other gear.
7. To produce vertical profiles of particle size using water bottle samples and HIAC counter.
8. To produce verticle profiles of plankton distributions in areas of high density of fish and Nephrops larvae, using a Longhurst-Hardy Plankton Recorder.
9. To carry out a survey of fish and benthos across the position of the NW Irish Sea Front (using a bottom trawl with headline camera and an Agassiz trawl).
10. To produce a photographic index of common epibenthic species.
|Chief scientist||Keith M Brander (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.27 MB)|
|General||Irish Sea and St. George's Channel|
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 19|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton||Quantity: number of samples = 143|
|Zooplankton||Quantity: number of samples = 143|
|Pelagic fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 8|
Description: Engel hauls
|Pelagic fish||Quantity: number of stations = 16|
Description: worked using Isaacs Kidd trawl.
|Pelagic fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 15|
Description: using the Portuguese high headline trawl.
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 13|
Description: Agassiz trawls.