RV Cirolana CIR7/84
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1984-08-09 — 1984-09-06|
|Port of departure||Grimsby, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||South Shields, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry out a groundfish survey of the North Sea using a standard Granton Trawl in order to obtain information on:
i) the distribution and abundance of all fish species caught by the trawl
ii) species interactions by examining stomach contents of selected predators
iii) length and age distributions of cod, haddock, whiting, saithe, Norway pout and plaice
iv) the distribution of fish in relation to environmental conditions.
2. To collect water samples for caesium analysis using the pumped sea water supply and Niskin bottles.
3. To sample the environment via the pumped sea water supply to shipboard sensors including:
a) shallow water CTD
b) Turner 10 flowmeter rigged to sample chlorophyll 'a'.
4. a) To sample haddock bloods from areas east and west of the prime meridian. (Dr Jamieson)
b) To sample gadoid haemoglobin. (Dr Jamieson)
5. All instruments will be data logged and programmes tested to give depth profiles and surface transects.
6. Examine benthos distribution and abundance using:
a) a headline camera
b) the Granton trawl
c) a 1 1/2 metre Agassiz trawl fitted with a (metre) distance recording wheel
d) Grabs in selected locations.
7. All data will be entered on the ship's computer to create a data base for this cruise and summaries of the data obtained before the ship docks.
8. Release sea bed drifters off northeast coast. (Mr Riley)
9. Land live specimens of myxine. (Mr Scholes)
10. Collect stomach of whiting for Scotish stomach analysis programme. (A Robb)
11. Misc. samples of fish as requested (Mr Riley, Dr Millner, Mr Scholes)
|Chief scientist||John G Pope (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.16 MB)|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)|
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 83|
|Surface drifters/drifting buoys||Quantity: number of deployments = 1200|
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of samples = 52|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Pelagic fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 63|
Description: Agassiz Trawl.
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 84|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Quantity: number of samples = 63|