RV Clione CLI3/84
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Clione (74CN)|
|Cruise period||1984-02-24 — 1984-03-09|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To sample along a transect through the Tyne sewage sludge dumping ground for physical, bacteriological, biological and chemical analysis using Day grab and beam trawl.
2. To collect Nephrops, commercial fish and fauna for chemical analysis and sediment samples for physical and chemical analysis off the north east coast.
3. To sample and observe fly-ash contaminated sediments off Blyth using grabs and underwater television. No underwater television was possible.
4. To investigate the dispersion of liquid industrial waste off the Tees by continuous water sampling and Baird Atomic fluorimeter.
5. To collect Modiolus in and around the Humber dumping ground for biological, chemical and bacteriological analysis.
6. To collect suspended matter in the wake of dumping vessels in the Barrow Deep for electron microprobe analysis.
7. To conduct a routine monitoring survey in the outer Thames estuary, collecting sediments for physical, biological and chemical analysis.
8. To collect commercial fish and fauna in the outer Thames estuary for chemical analysis.
9. To compare the efficiency of core and grab sampling of surface sediments using a range of gear.
10. To collect, from widely-spaced sites along the east and north-east coast, sediments and fauna for chemical analysis as a preliminary bench mark
|Chief scientist||Michael S Rolfe (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Burnham Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.20 MB)|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||Tyne-Tees/ Thames Estuary|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Pelagic fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 4|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 6|
Description: 3m beam trawls.
|Geology and geophysics|
|Dredge||Quantity: number of deployments = 25|
Description: Forster anchor dredge and/or Newhaven scallop dredges.
|Grab||Quantity: number of samples = 67|
|Core - soft bottom||Quantity: number of cores = 7|