RV Cirolana CIR7/85
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1985-08-13 — 1985-09-11|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry out a groundish survey of the North Sea using a standard Granton trawl in order to obtain information on:
(i) the distribution and abundance of all fish species caught in the trawl.
(ii) the length and age distributions of commercially important gadoids.
(iii) the distribution and fish in relation to environmental parameters.
(iv) the distribution and relative abundance of macro benthos.
(v) gadoid interactions through collections of stomachs from cod and whiting for the ICES programme on stomach analysis.
(vi) the distribution of caesium in fish flesh via trawl samples of fish for analysis at Lowestoft.
2. Collect water samples for caesium analysis from the pumped water supply and using Niskin bottles.
3. Sample the environment using electronic sensors either in the pumped water supply or by deploying the instruments in a sampling frame.
4. Examine benthos using:
a) the Granton trawl
b) an Agassiz trawl with meter wheel filled to give distance measurements
c) a Day grab at selected stations. No records from the Day grab which was damaged beyond repair on the first haul.
5. All biological data will be entered on the computer to create a database for this cruise and summarise results before the cruise ends.
6. All electronic instruments will be data logged and programmes used to extract and present results in graphics format. No graphics output was possible.
7. Collect live specimens of fish for Mr Scholes including Myxine, 20 adult female dabs, 10 small cod (<20cm) and 5 soles (<20cm).
8. Collect whiting samples for a research project on Lernaeocera branohialis based at Kings College, London.
9. Release drift indicators for Turbot larvae off the NE Coast.
10. Collect a small halibut (10-100cm) for the archaeology unit at Cambridge University. Not achieved.
|Chief scientist||Derek Harding (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.22 MB)|
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 70|
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of samples = 50|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton pigs (eg chlorophyll, fluorescence)||Quantity: number of stations = 70|
Description: chlorophyll "A" profile
|Phytobenthos||Quantity: number of samples = 46|
|Zoobenthos||Quantity: number of samples = 46|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 74|