RV Cirolana CIR9A/85
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1985-10-25 — 1985-11-11|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Workington, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To undertake a survey of Np, Pu, Am, Cm, and Tc radionuclides in seawater and suspended particulate matter in British coastal waters.
2. To carry out speciation studies for these same elements at selected locations.
3. To deploy the near-bed rig at two locations in the Irish Sea to measure current profiles, suspended load (by transmissometry) and sample water for radionuclide analysis.
4. To investigate the behaviour of transuranic elements in sediment porewaters at two sites in the vicinity of the Sellafield discharge and to define the bio-geochemistry of the sediments by measuring various physico-chemical parameters.
5. To set up preliminary reaction-rate incubation experiments on-board the ship using freshly collected Irish Sea sediments.
6. To collect cores for the estimation of seasonal variations in the short-time-scale migration rates in sediments using thorium/uranium disequilibria.
7. To investigate the residence-time and scavenging rates of particle-reactive radionuclides using the 234Th/238U disequilibrium in the seawater/suspended solids/sea bed system of the Irish Sea.
8. To survey the distribution of benthic organisms (especially Maxmillaria lankastri) in the muddy sediments of the north east Irish Sea during the autumn season.
|Chief scientist||B R Harvey (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.20 MB)|
|Specific||North Sea, Shetlands and Irish Sea|
|Other physical oceanographic measurements||Quantity: number of deployments = 2|
Description: near-bed monitoring rig
|Other chemical oceanographic measurements||Quantity: number of samples = 50|
Description: surface seawater for radionuclides
|Suspended matter||Quantity: number of samples = 5|
|Trace metals||Quantity: number of samples = 1|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Core - soft bottom||Quantity: number of cores = 72|